Skip to main content

There are Mornings- Liesel Mueller

 There are Mornings


Even now, when the plot

calls for me to turn to stone,

the sun intervenes. Some mornings

in summer, I step outside

and the sky opens

and pours itself into me

as if I were a saint

about to die. But the plot

calls for me to live, be ordinary,

say nothing to anyone.

Inside the house,

the mirrors burn when I pass.


- Lisel Mueller






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arendt On Totalitarianism

 The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction... and the distinction between true and false... no longer exists - Hannah Arendt

Arendt On Bullshit

 "Lies are often much more plausible, more appealing to reason than reality, since the liar has the great advantage of knowing beforehand what the audience wishes or expects to hear."     — Hannah Arendt